Security Alert - Email Viruses and Malware
As we all know, we must continually maintain vigilance to defend against the most recent viruses and malware. Recently, we have seen a high incidence of a virus called "Cryptolocker," "Cryptowall", or "Ransomware," and newer ones called "Cerber", and "Locky" that have been infecting computers recently.
In the most recent case, it's a .DOT file and one commonality is that the sender's name is also the subject of the e-mail, and it says that it's a "report." BUT: beware of all emails with attachments or suspicious headers and/or content.
Although it's impossible to protect against every threat, M.A. Polce Consulting customers who leverage our Spam Filtering services or who have a Managed Services Agreement are proactively being configured to protect against these new variants as they are discovered. M.A. Polce Consulting is currently blocking all emails with .rtf or .dot attachments.
Links in these emails point to a cryptolocker virus variant. The virus then acts by encrypting files with common extensions like .doc, .xls, and .pdf among others. Once the files are encrypted a popup tells you to supply a credit card to get your files unlocked. A previous variant disguises itself as an email from FedEx, UPS, or USPS, but there other variants out there as well, so we urge you all to be extra careful.
There are some ways to protect yourself:
1. Do not open attachments that you are unsure of.
2. Do not click on any links that you are unsure of. Open up a new browser and navigate to the website instead of relying on a link.
3. Ensure backups are being performed regularly on all your data. This is the only recovery method, besides paying the ransom, if you become infected.
Understanding Business Continuity
A Well-Structured Continuity Plan Can Save Your Business
When the sky is falling on your business, can you make it through the storm?
For the average business owner, business continuity is looked upon as a secondary system that is put in place to protect the investments the business has made. Since the platform doesn’t have much to do with a business’ day-to-day operations, often times some aspects of a business’ continuity strategy is overlooked; a major mistake that the business owner will realize when it is suddenly too late.
Read more ...
Welcome to M. A. Polce Consulting - The Central New York IT Experts
M. A. Polce Consulting has been providing professional IT Support for businesses in and around Central New York since 1998. We strive to give our clients Enterprise-level services and solutions at prices that work for small businesses. Time and experience has helped us develop best practices and workflow procedures around a proactive philosophy designed to keep your focus on your business, not your technology.
Our team of experts can become your outsourced IT department; responding to issues quickly, often before you even know about them. Covering everything from your servers and network infrastructure, to your computers, workstations and mobile devices, we provide end-to-end solutions for all of your technology needs.
With M. A. Polce Consulting as your outsourced IT partner, you will experience:
- Less Downtime - Faster resolution leads to more productivity
- Fewer Day-to-Day Issues - Proactive maintenance prevents issues in general
- More Opportunities - And more time in the day to take advantage of them
- Flat-Rate IT Budget - Know your IT expenses ahead of time, your accounting department will thank you!
- Infrastructure Protection - Keep your network and devices safe and secure
- Business Continuity - Through backup and disaster recovery methods and best practices
- A Good Night's Sleep - Knowing your business is in good hands 24x7.
Not sure where to begin, or even if M. A. Polce Consulting is a good fit for your organization? Contact us to learn more about how we can help move your business forward.